Thursday, November 22, 2018

Design First--Build Second

IF Amplifier Test Build

During the month of November I stumbled onto a Youtube channel run by Charlie Morris ZL2CTM. I was immediately impressed with Charlie's build philosophy: plan your circuit, consult datasheets, do the math, build and test!

Towards the end of Spring 2018, I got the bright idea of building a rig from scratch and making it a summer project. But I quickly got bogged down in the design phase of my project. I never made it past the local oscillator! :)

Thanks to Charlie's excellent teaching skills, I now have a road map that I can follow on future projects. Head over to Charlie's channel and see what he is up to. 


Right now I am five stages behind on his "Homebrew MC1350P based SSB Rig" and my next step is to build the RF Amplifier stage. But before I do that I am thinking about building the "8640-Jr Test Oscillator" that I never got around to building in the Fall of 2015.

73,
Alan Jones, N8WQ

2 comments:

  1. Alan,
    Have you built the arduino based VFO that Charlie uses with his new rig? I'm building something close to his design but have some questions about his Arduino sketch.

    If you have experience with that part of his project, let me know. Please.

    73, Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack,
    I am slowly in the process of building Charlie's MC1350P based SSB Rig. I have not started to build the VFO yet. Maybe I can still answer your question about Charlie's Arduino sketch. I will watch his video again this evening to refresh my memory. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    73, Alan

    ReplyDelete